Wednesday, June 10, 2009

so, i made these book covers a while back and i totally forgot to blog about the


frankenstein book cover, originally uploaded by bunnyjrobot.

The assignment was to pick three penguin classics books and design a set of book covers. I chose the scary set, dr. Jekyll & mr. Hyde, Frankenstein, and Dracula. I chose them mostly because I had read the stories before ( well, in the case of frankenstein, i'd seen the bride of frankenstein... close enough) anyway, i felt like i had enough of an idea about the stories to be able to create some cool book covers.
i got my images for Dracula & Frankenstein from books in the library that were essays on each of the books. the frankenstein picture is my favorite of the bunch, its someone's weird interpretation of franken-people that came out around the time Mary Shelly's book did.
The technique i used for getting my images to look the way they do is a printmaking technique called Van Dyke. you get a negative transparency of the image, and expose it to paper that has the Van Dyke solution painted on it using a very high watt light table. i learned to do it this term in my intermediate bookbinding class.
I used bodoni as the typeface for my book covers in bold, regular and italic. I chose it because its got that classical feel, but still keeps things neat and simple.
I struggled with how to place the title on my book covers - you can see the different attempts i made by looking through my photostream. eventually i settled on this 'tag' set at the edge of each book slightly askew. i'm still not really sure if i love it, but eh, it works. i think this is one of those projects that i'd really like to come back to when i've learned a little bit more and see what i'm able to do with it. again, to see my progress in this project or to view the other two book covers in the series, please check out my flickr photostream.

No comments: